Plants and flowers poisonous to pets

Plants and flowers poisonous to pets

Plants and flowers poisonous to pets:

Plants and animals can both bring joy and happiness to our lives, but unfortunately the two don’t always mix. Keeping houseplants and flowers around adds a nice touch to any home, but it’s a good idea to make sure these plants are safe for pets before purchasing. Below is a list of plants which can be toxic to pets or otherwise have negative effects on animal health. Though this list is not fully comprehensive, it includes many of the most popular plants and flowers purchased for the home.

AmaryAmaryllisllis:

This tall and hardy flower is beautiful but can be dangerous. It is generally toxic to dogs and cats – the bulbs, stems and leaves contain poisonous alkaloids that can cause vomiting, drooling, gastrointestinal irritation, dangerously low blood pressure and shortness of breath.

 


Aloe Vera:ALoe Vera

This popular succulent is mildly to moderately toxic to cats and dogs and can cause vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea and depression. It contains a purgative that is generally irritative to the gastrointestinal system.

 


 

AlocasiaAlocasia:

With its deep green waxy leaves, the Alocasia is a common choice for a houseplant, but bear in mind that it is toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Depending on the amount ingested, contact with this plant can result in liver and kidney failure. But in milder cases, it may cause swelling of the throat, drooling, difficulty swallowing and breathing, and an acute burning sensation in the mouth. Symptoms may take up to two weeks to appear in some cases.


 

Azalea/Rhododendron:Azaleas

This flowering bush is toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Ingestion of even a couple leaves of the plant can cause central nervous system depression, vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, weakness, coma, cardiac arrest and death. Signs of poisoning usually surface within a few hours and include drooling, stomach upset, lack of appetite, leg paralysis and lack of coordination.


 

Castor BCastor Beanean:

All parts of the Castor Bean plant are poisonous, but the seeds contain the highest concentrations of ricin, the main toxin present in the plant. Castor bean is poisonous not only to dogs and cats, but also to cattle, horses, sheep and many other small animals. Signs of poisoning include nausea and abdominal pain, dehydration, anorexia, weakness and convulsions. Ingestion can result in coma and death. Note that symptoms usually do not appear until sometime between 12 and 48 hours after contact.


 

Cyclamen:Cyclamen

This attractive flower is toxic to dogs and cats. Following ingestion, animals may experience vomiting, excessive salivation and diarrhea. If large quantities are consumed, this may lead to heart arrhythmia and seizure, and in extreme cases, even death.

 


 

English English IvyIvy:

This popular ivy is toxic to cats, dogs and horses. Clinical signs of poisoning include nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, drooling and diarrhea. The plant is not fatal, but should be avoided as symptoms can clearly be unpleasant. The foliage of English Ivy contains more toxins than the berries.


 

Easter Lily

Easter Lily:

This attractive white or cream-colored lily plant is toxic to cats but does not appear to be toxic to dogs, horses or other animals. It has been observed to cause vomiting and inappetance, sluggishness and, in extreme cases, kidney failure and death.

 


 

FlamingFlamingo Flowero Flower:

Also known as “Anthurium,” this flowering plant with its recognizable heart-shaped waxy spathe and upright spadix is poisonous to cats and dogs. Ingestion can cause an acute burning sensation in the mouth, lips and tongue, excessive salivation, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.


 

Gladiolus:Gladiolus

This beautiful flower is toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Most of the toxins are concentrated in the corms (bulbs) of the flower. Signs of poisoning include lethargy, excessive salivation, vomiting and diarrhea.

 


 

KalanchKalanchoeoe:

This common houseplant is moderately to severely toxic to dogs and cats and can cause death in severe cases. Kalanchoe contains cardiac glycoside toxins which alter the electrolyte balance within the heart. Signs of poisoning include nausea and vomiting, drooling, weakness, dilated pupils, cardiac arrhythmia and seizure.


 

Lilies:Lilies

Multiple species of the genus Lilium, including Casa Blanca, Stragazer, Tiger and Asian, are poisonous to cats, causing kidney failure and, in some cases, death. Symptoms generally appear 18-24 hours after ingestion beginning with vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite, and sometimes leading to seizures, increased thirst and urination, and dehydration.


 

MorninMorning Gloryg glory:

This beautiful flower found in gardens across America is toxic to dogs and cats. It contains indole alkaloids that can cause abdominal pain, disorientation, ataxia, vomiting and anorexia. Ingestion of the seeds can cause hallucinations and diarrhea.

 


 

Oleander:Oleander

All parts of this flowering shrub are highly toxic to dogs and cats, cows, horses, birds (and humans!). Signs of poisoning include vomiting, hypothermia, cardiac arrhythmia, drooling, tremors, weakness, seizures and gastrointestinal irritation. Oleander contains several poisons that specifically affect the heart and ingestion can easily lead to death.


 

PothPothosos:

While the pothos has many benefits as a houseplants, including purifying the air, it is considered toxic to cats and dogs as it can cause vomiting and stomach upset and oral irritation.

 


 

Privet:Privet

Used extensively for privacy hedges in homes across the country, privet may appear innocuous but is in fact toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. If ingested, this shrub can cause abdominal pain, lack of coordination, increased heart rate and, in rare cases, death.

 


 

Rose of SRose of Sharonharon:

This beautiful flowering shrub is mildly toxic to cats, dogs, and horses and can cause diarrhea, anorexia, and vomiting.

 

 


Sago Palm:sago Palm

The Sago Palm contains a toxin called cycasin and is considered very dangerous to dogs, cats, and horses. All parts of the plant are poisonous, but the seeds are the parts to especially watch out for as they contain higher concentrations of the toxin. Signs of poisoning include sluggishness, abdominal discomfort, vomiting, diarrhea, tarry stool, jaundice and loss of appetite. In extreme cases, ingestion can lead to lead to liver failure and death.


 

Tree PTree Philodendronhilodendron:

The philodendron contains toxins called raphites and is considered mildly to moderately toxic to cats and dogs. Symptoms of poisoning include drooling, loss of appetite, vomiting, difficulty breathing and oral irritation.

 


 

Tulip:Tulip

Tulips are poisonous to dogs, cats, and horses, with the bulbs having the highest toxicity concentration. Signs of poisoning include excessive salivation, vomiting, diarrhea and central nervous system depression.